Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Fish in a Garden

Fish in a Garden doesn't sound like something anyone would want to eat. I know when I first heard of it I refused to go anywhere near it. It was a dish my dad always ordered at our favorite Chinese restaurant. When I realized it was basically a fish stir fry I wasn't freaked out anymore. I had a fridge stocked with veggies and figured this would be the best time to try out my version of Fish in a Garden. It's very easy and super good!


Fish in a Garden

Ingredients:
1/2 yellow onion- small diced
2 cups broccoli
1 bunch of spinach
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
10-15 spears of asparagus
1 bag frozen stir fry vegetables
2 fillets of white fish (I used Basa)
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic
1 Tbsp sesame oil
Brown Rice

Directions:
Marinate fish in 1 tsp lemon juice, garlic salt, parsley, and 2 tsp sesame oil. Caramelize onion in 1/2 Tbsp butter and 1/2 Tbsp olive oil. While the onion is cooking blanch the vegetables, except spinach, and transfer them to an ice bath to stop the cooking. Add mushrooms to skillet and season with salt, oregano and garlic. Add in 1/4 cup of water. Add water or chicken stock throughout as needed. Reduce heat to low. Cook until mushrooms are soft. Add soy sauce and asparagus. Let cook for 2 minutes. Place fish with marinade in the middle of the pan in between the asparagus. When the fish is almost cooked cut into bite sized pieces. Add all the other veggies except the spinach. Stir in sesame oil. When the veggies are heated through add spinach and let cook until just wilted. Serve over cooked brown rice and top with pan sauce.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this couldn't have come at a better time! We just went to Costco and bought a ton of fish (trying to eat fish over here at least twice a week). Then, when we got home to put it in the freezer, it turned out that we already had fish! Basically, all we're going to eat for the next several weeks is fish, so I've been looking for new ways to cook it. I love this and will make it this week or next!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good! I would love to try and make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fish in a garden??? Not so much. Fish stir fry??? Intriguing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!