Monday, July 25, 2011

Green Chile Sauce

When I go out to eat in New Mexico I always get my food smothered in "Christmas," which is what we call the mixture of red chile and green chile. (Fun fact: New Mexico's official state question is "red or green?") Several weeks ago I realized that I've never made a green chile sauce before, which is strange since that's pretty much all I eat at restaurants back home.
 
We have a freezer full of green chile out here that we need to start using before we move, so I got out my trusty cookbook and found a recipe for green chile sauce. I use this with so many foods now (huevos rancheros, over chicken, mixed in beans, inside enchiladas, etc.) that I had to share it with you. It's usually gone within a day or two at our house, so I need to start doubling the recipe! I'll also post recipes to the foods above in the next few weeks.
 Green Chile Sauce
adapted from Simply Simpatico

Ingredients
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon butter, margarine, or oil
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup water (or chicken or vegetable stock)
1 cup green chile* (roasted, peeled, diced)
salt to taste

Directions
Saute onions and garlic in butter (margarine or oil) over medium heat. When onions are translucent, mix in flour (it should look sort of like a paste). Add green chile and water (or stock); bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for five minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add salt to taste.

*I've only made this with fresh green chile, so if you're using green chile from a can, your results may differ.

3 comments:

  1. OH yeah baby! You know I love me some green chiles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went on a random search through Blogger for other bloggers in Albuquerque and I'm so glad I stumbled upon yours! Despite living here since I was 13, I so lack the skills for southwest cooking!

    Subscribing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cook it cream style and freeze it. It is delicious. We do not put any ingredients in it. It seems to freeze better and last longer. Best to eat with bread and chickens.
    hediyelik eşya

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!